In the last few years, the internet has grown from just being a non-existing market to becoming a part of our lives in such a way that it has changed how people used to communicate, shop, socialize, advertise, learn, do business and has become a great medium to spread knowledge. It has become one of the largest database which is flexible, accessible and ensures easy availability of information.
Nobody anticipated that people will be talking about the importance of mental health on a global scale. Thanks to social media that has given viewers can express themselves freely. The coin has both sides. On the one side it has provided a platform where people can share their opinions but the other end has left many to actually feel depressed about themselves due to multiple reasons.
The recent news about famous Bollywood actor, Sushant Singh Rajput ending his own life has triggered and shocked everyone. The infamous event has left people speechless yet has given some people to talk about nepotism, discrimination in the film industry, their past experiences with mental and physical trauma, pay gaps in the industry and many more topics. People have also started talking about banning main stream directors who focus on launching “star-kids” and millions of people have filed petition for the same.
Mental health must be predominant and must stand above all. Well-being is defined by the Oxford English dictionary as ‘the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy’, although it is a broader concept. It includes having good mental health, high life satisfaction, a sense of meaning or purpose, and ability to manage stress. Psychological well-being consists of positive relationships with others, personal mastery, autonomy, a feeling of purpose and meaning in life, and personal growth and development. Psychological well-being is attained by achieving a state of balance affected by both challenging and rewarding life events.
Some pointers to keep the sanity of social media platforms from one’s end:
- If you feel that social media is taking a negative toll on you in any way, take a break. Free yourself from the social platforms for a time being and retrospect. It gives immense pleasure to let things go that are leading to even a slight mental disturbance.
- Stop trolling. Be it making fun of someone or laughing with the person who is doing so. It is very essential to take our own stand and spread positivity.
- Follow people and pages that actually impart good information and are trying their best to spread positivity. Be it doodles, art, comics, poetry, or any field that you want to be a part of or interested in.
- Share good content. There are people who are trying their best to evolve themselves and making world a better place. It is crucial to share those content so that it reach out to the masses.
- Substantially, give credits to people and artist. Sometimes, people just take a screenshot and due to which credits are not given to the actual person.
- Don’t judge people on the basis of their profiles and posts. It like looking at the tip on an iceberg.
- Unfollow friends, pages and posts that are likely to trigger a cell of your body and you don’t feel good about it.
Primarily, our well-being directly affects our actions and emotions. And hence it is important to take care of oneself and prioritize accordingly because if we want to function successfully in the world we need to be well.
“Don’t let the outside world fool you
You are pretty awesome the way you are :)”